Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Father's Day Plate



Good Afternoon Ladies!

Today I have for you a simple, inexpensive and FUN craft.

Let's get started shall we?

I made this plate to put cookies on for my husband for Father's Day. 
 I'm going to have my boys make one too.

Here is how I did this:


I bought a plain white plate at the Dollar Store
Drew my design with Sharpie Permanent Pens
Then baked the plate on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 25-30 min.

DONE!

I know...it's freak'n fantastic!  Not only was it fun, it looks cool and it cost me ONLY $1!!

Can I get a Whoop Whoop!

But hold up...think of this..

Hosting a baby shower or a bridal shower? Have everyone sign a big platter.

Having a house warming party? Buy a bunch of white plates and have all your friends and family color and design them.  Coffee mugs too!

High School Grad party....Retirement party...Kids birthday Party....

Use them as art work even! 
Hang them on your wall, or display them on an easel.

I'm mean...really your options are beyond endless with this one!!!

Fun for all ages, so go get some plates and break out those Sharpies!


UPDATE: After doing further research, I would only use the Sharpie technique for decorative purposes.  Although Sharpies are Non-Toxic, it will rub off over time.  If you want to have something that will last I would recommend using Ceramic Pens, they are designed for this sort of project.

Have a great day
and
Happy Crafting!

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea! Do you know if it is safe to put food on top of the sharpie designs? How about placing food on top and then microwaving it? Just wondering about the safety factor. Otherwise, it's an awesome decor for Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did google it, and read that it safe. Not sure about Microwaving it however, that's a good question.

      If you are looking for total longevity, then I would use Ceramic Pens, and I would assume (but not certain) that those would be microwave safe, they should say on the package. You can get those at your local craft store.

      But I agree, they are awesome for decor :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. Sharpies are also Non-toxic :)

      Delete
    3. You are the best! Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to try this. I will send you a picture link once completed. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Amazing idea, I always wanted to make it, but didn't know how. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How chic this DIY Father's Day Plate was! I loved the craft. Gratitude for this beautifully written blog post. My husband’s birthday is coming and I would host a family party at the rooftop venue NYC. The kiddos want to gift something custom made for the daddy so I think this plate idea is so fun to make on this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments from my readers, thank you so much for taking the time to comment and making my day by doing so.